12 Mile Creek, 16 Mile Creek and Credit River Reserves, Treaty Nos. 22 and 23 (1820)
Posted on November 5, 2020
The completion of the Ajetance Treaty of 1818 left the Mississaugas of the Credit with three small reserves at 12 Mile Creek, 16 Mile Creek, and the Credit River. Noting the distress and poverty of the Mississaugas, William Claus, Deputy Superintendent of the Indian Department, met with Mississaugas of the Credit ancestors and proposed the surrender of their remaining lands.
Claus promised that the proceeds of the sale would be used to instruct the Mississaugas in the rudiments of the Christian religion and to provide education for their children. In addition, a portion of land consisting of 200 acres located in southeasterly portion of the Credit River Reserve would be set aside as a village site for the Mississaugas. On February 28, 1820, according to the terms of Treaty 22, the Mississaugas acquiesced to the Crown and ceded their lands at 12 and 16 Mile Creeks along with northern and southern portions of the Credit River Reserve. Treaty 23, negotiated later the same day, saw the central portion of the Credit River Reserve, along with its woods and waters, ceded to the Crown for £50.